Descendants of Thomas Lomas
(direct family of John Lomas in blue)
20. John Lummas-6 (Thomas-5, Thomas-4, John-3, John-2, Thomas-1) was born on 13 Jan 1799 in Hellidon, Northants. He died on 23 Apr 1868 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. When John Lummas married in 1823, the surname was changed for all future generations to Lomas. John Lummas (Lomas) was issued with a bastardy order for the birth of twins boys to Elizabeth Malam, whom he then married. One of the boys, Richard, born 10 April 1823, is a direct ancestor. Here is a summary of some of his history. John Lomas was born "Lummas" in Hellidon, Warwicks, and baptised in 1799. On his marriage certificate it says he was from Catesby, which is a few miles form Hellidon. In 1817, he got a job in Everdon, Northants, about 8 miles east of Helidon. From there he went to work in Grandborough, Warwicks, some 12 miles NW of Everdon, and about 8 miles from Daventry. (Interesting that he worked in Grandborough, because in 1823 he moved there to live, and a number of generations of Lomas's were born there). After Grandborough, he went to work in Withybrook, Warwickshire, some 16 miles north of Grandborough. At some unknown time he went to Nuneaton, 8 miles north, and there in 1822 he "had his way" with a girl called Elizabeth Mealham, from Market Rasen, Lincolnshire. Twin sons were born in Nuneaton on 10 April 1823, Richard and John. Elizabeth then issued a bastardy order on 16 June 1823 on John Lummas, and in the bastardy order the name is written as "Lomas". John did the right thing and married her 23 days later! In the marriage certificate the name was spelt "Lomas", and from that day onwards Lomas has always been the surname. Just to complete the story, John and Elizabeth moved to Grandborough, Warwickshire, and baptised Richard and John on 25 December 1824 in Grandborough. Then they set about seriously having fun and Elizabeth produced another 11 children. I am descended from the twin Richard, born in 1823. At his death on 25 April 1868, Eliza Lomas (wife) was present, and put her "mark" on the death certificate, which reports John's age as 76 years, whereas the correct age seems to be 69.
Elizabeth Mealham was born in 1801 in Market Rasen, Lincs. She died on 13 Jul 1884 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. Elizabeth Malham (Mealham) issued a bastardy order on John Lomas for two twins boys born to her on 10 April 1823. One of these, Richard, is our direct ancestor. Interesting that in the bastardy order, the name "Lomas" appears for possibly the first time, being as the family was called Lummas before the marriage to Elizabeth. Elizabeth died in Woolscott, 13 July 1884, and her death was registered by her daughter Tamar Cleaver, who was present at the death. On the death certificate it says that Tamar was present and then says "Dunchurch". Not sure what this means, as the death was declared as being in Woolscott, about 3 miles away. Perhaps Tamar wa living at Dunchurch?
John Lummas and Elizabeth Mealham were married on 09 Jul 1823 in Nuneaton, Warwicks. They had the following children:
21. John Lomas was born on 10 Apr 1823 in Nuneaton, Warwicks. He married Sarah Smith in 1839.
22. Richard Lomas was born on 10 Apr 1823 in Nuneaton, Warwicks. He married Sarah Hinds Buller on 14 Nov 1847 in Grandborough, Warwicks. He died on 31 May 1871 in Dunchurch, Warwicks.
Tamar Lomas was born on 25 Dec 1825 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. She married John Cleaver in Dec 1846.
23. Reuben Lomas was born on 23 Dec 1829 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. He married Martha Jakeman on 17 Nov 1848 in Church Stowe, Northants (Stowe Nine Churches). He died on 26 Mar 1909 in Bedworth, Warwicks.
Thomas Lomas was born in 1830 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. Aged 11 on 1841 census, but birth/baptism not found.
Absolom Lomas was born on 15 Apr 1832 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks.
24. Amnon Lomas was born on 16 Dec 1834 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. He married Eliza Reynolds about 1859. He died on 20 Jun 1916 in Grandborough, Warwicks.
Job Lomas was born on 14 Jul 1836 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. He died on 25 Dec 1836 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks.
Jesse Lomas was born on 23 May 1839 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. He died on 15 Apr 1840 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks.
Job Lomas was born on 23 May 1839 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks.
Emma Lomas was born on 05 Mar 1843 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks. She died on 15 Jan 1844 in Woolscott, Grandborough, Warwicks.
Emma Lomas was born on 19 Oct 1845 in Grandborough, Warwicks.
Selena Lomas was born on 25 Jul 1847 in Grandborough, Warwicks.